Medical Technologist (MT)/Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS)
Position Summary: Performs, interprets, and correlates laboratory tests by following CLIA based protocols to assist in provider diagnosis and treatment. Report results accurately per control results, demonstrates proficiency and understanding of routine procedures. Collects specimens as required, completes patient information and other clerical duties.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Use techniques specified in procedure manuals for analysis of patient specimens to include urine, blood, sputum, feces, and other biological fluids.
• Receives written, electronic (laboratory information system (LIS) and electronic medical records (EMR)), or verbal requests from providers or nursing staff for routine and/or STAT Outpatient, Hospital, Long-term care/Alzheimer Unit, or ER patients.
• Obtain blood samples from patients quickly, efficiently, and with a minimum of discomfort, prioritizing stat requests from routine samples.
• Performs therapeutic phlebotomies.
• Performs chemical, serological, bacteriological, hematological, and microscopic tests to obtain reliable data for use in the diagnosis and treatment of disease.
• Performs urine cultures identification and sensitivities, Blood Culture Identification, and various molecular and other microbiology testing.
• Performs transfusion testing, including ABO/RH types and cross-match to ascertain compatibility.
• Draws and performs arterial blood gases.
• Performs electrocardiograms.
• Performs and checks Quality Control values to ensure accuracy of testing and report problems to Laboratory Manager.
• Calibrates and maintains laboratory equipment such as chemistry, hematology, and coagulation analyzers.
• Reports any special circumstances or critical results to the provider and blood bank issues to the Manager and Pathologist. Processes and reports test (CLIA Waived, Moderate and High complexity) results accurately and in a timely manner.
• Performs proficiency testing when assigned.
• Performs clerical functions as needed.
• Able to take call for some nights, weekends, holidays, etc.
• Attends meetings and in-service sessions, as directed.
• Requires regular attendance and punctuality.
• Performs other assigned duties.
Required Education and Experience
• MLT, ASCP certified or equivalent.
• Certification in illegal drug collection within 1 year of hire date.
Preferred Education and Experience
• Proficient in General Chemistry, Hematology, Urinalysis, Coagulation, ABGs, Urine Microbiology, Spot Testing and General Blood Banking.
• EMR knowledge preferred.
MT or MLS ASCP certified or equivalent. Proficient in General Chemistry, Hematology, Urinalysis, Coagulation, ABGs, Urine Microbiology, Spot Testing and General Blood Banking. Must be computer proficient. Certification in DOT and non-DOT drug collection within 1 year of hire date. EMR knowledgeable preferred
Corey Castle - Human Resources Director
Phone: (719) 523-2160